Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Kale, Meatballs, and Honey-Pear Sauce hmm....

Earthquake engineering ... quite a fun class I have to say. I think this is the first time that I wanted to go to class. The professor shows us cool earthquake diagrams and videos of destruction. I have to say this is going to be quite a fun quarter and busy of course.

Enough about boring you with my classes ... While I was shopping around Trader Joes, I saw a bag of organic pears for 1.99. I got to say, that is quite a deal. The pears were fragrant and not too sweet, and then an idea hit me. My brain was processing the ingredients available in my fridge. "I should probably make a pear sauce that goes with my leftover meatballs and kale, and why not add spaghetti noodles too and call it a pasta dish?" Indeed, I followed thoughts.

Spaghetti and Meatballs ... with Kale and Honey-Pear Sauce



Ingredients
2 D'anjou Pears (Find it in Trader Joes, but any oval pear would do)
1 batch Kale (5 leaves)
1/4 Yellow onion
1/4 cup White wine
3 tbs Butter
2 tbs Honey
1 tsp Black pepper
Almonds for garnish and crunch texture
4-5 Basic meatball

Preparation of creativeness
1. Dice onion
2. Cut pears into slices
3. Boil water and cook kale
4. Remove kale and chop leaves into 1 inch sections
5. Bake meatballs
6. Boil water and cook spaghetti noodles

Cooking
up an experiment
1. Put oil in a pan and caramelize onions and pears
2. Toss in white wine and reduce 2/3 of the liquid
3. Put everything in a blender and add butter and pepper
4. Blend until smooth.
5. If too thick, add in chicken stock to thin in a sauce pan
6. Taste and add necessary pepper.
7. Add kale, meatballs, and noodles together and add almonds to garnish

For vegetarians, you do not need the meatballs. This dish has a nice aroma and contrasts nicely with the kale and meatballs. In addition, it is pretty healthy and provides a lot of daily nutrients.


No comments:

Post a Comment