Wednesday, March 31, 2010

All About Kale



Kale? What in the world is this? Most of my friends always ask me, "What is that huge leafy bunch in your shopping bag?". I figured I should write an article for this mysterious vegetable.

Why do I eat it? Simple, it is healthy and cheaper than most vegetables at Ralphs. For the health conscious readers, kale has a very high nutrient value, in which it is high in vitamin A, C, and K. The fiber content is also pretty high. In addition, there are several antioxidants contained in this plant and reduces cancer risk. Wow! That is a load of health benefits that I think America should move onto the Kale Healthcare Plan, in which all Americans should eat 3-5 servings a week (1 serving = 1 cup).

The "leafy bunch" is also delicious if prepared right. Kale has a green earthy taste if you are to eat it plain after boiling it in water. I like this taste, but for those who desire flavor, I shall share ways you can prepare this vegetable.

First, wash the vegetable. I notice a lot of people do not like washing their vegetables. It is quite shocking to find dirt in cooked foods, but it has occurred in several instances. The next step is to cut away the leaves from the stems, or you can just remove the leafy part with your hands.

Now onto the cooking! The simplest way is to salt and pepper the green leaves and toss with a bit of olive oil after boiling it with water. Another method is to stir-fry the kale with garlic, butter, and white wine.

To the last part ...when is it in season? Kale is available year-round in major supermarkets, but it is best consumed during the winter and spring, where there is a bitter-sweet taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment