Friday, March 19, 2010

Beer Batter Peanut Fish

To mark the start of Spring Break 2010, I decided to clean out my fridge to make room for a few exciting projects that I have planned. The fridge had two fillets of mahi mahi, beer, asparagus, and kale. As a college student, the following would wander around in my head: a) Beer? Chug the beer with a bunch of friends b) Mahi mahi? Bake it, easy food. c) Asparagus? Nasty ... my friend says it makes your urine smell worse ... I need more meat.

According to my stomach, the most logical choice would be none of the above. The fact is my tummy has a conscience of its own. "Why not make beer batter fish? While your at it, add some peanuts to it and spiciness."

I guess my stomach will do more of the thinking than my brain during spring break because the brain is undergoing hibernation due to academic stress.

Beer Batter Peanut Fish



Ingredients (batter section)
2 Fish fillets (I used mahi mahi. Tilapia works too or similar white fish)
1/2 cup All-purpose flour
1/2 bottle Beer (I used Blue-Moon)
1/4 cup Peanuts
1 tbs Salt
1 tsp Cayenne pepper (or more if you want spicy)
Black pepper
Extra flour for coating the fish

Prep work
1. Chop peanuts into shreds and set aside in a flat plate.
2. Mix the flour, salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper and well incorporate
3. Pour in beer until it resembles pancake batter

Now time to prep the fish
1. Wash the fish (make sure it doesn't smell like a rotting sea wharf)
2. Pat the fish dry with a paper towel or clean towel
3. Coat the fish in flour so the batter will stick
4. Coat the fish in the peanuts

Cooking
1. Heat up deep fryer (if you have one) or heat up a pan with vegetable or peanut oil
2. Throw in fish for 3-4 minutes
3. Put fish on paper towels to absorb grease (Yum grease)

Enjoy! I was quite surprised the peanuts and the fish turned out well. The texture was nice and crunchy and gave the fish a nutty flavour.

As for the poor asparagus, I boiled it and ate it. Vegetables do taste good seasoned with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment