Saturday, March 27, 2010

Spaghetti alla Carbonara

I got to say... spring break passed pretty quickly. In two days, I will be back to crunching numbers away and learning about how earthquakes will destroy everything in the world as in the horrible movie 2012. Well, as a civil engineer, I'm supposed to prevent that from happening.

Putting those thoughts aside, I encountered spaghetti alla carbonara in one of the Italian cookbooks I've been reading over break (hence the load of Italian food posts). This dish is extremely simple and hard to mess up. All you need is cheese, eggs, bacon, and hot spaghetti.

Spaghetti alla Carbonara



Ingredients
5 slabs Bacon
2 Eggs
1 Egg yolk
1/2 lb Spaghetti
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup Romano cheese
1 tbs Combination ground Green pepper, white pepper, black pepper (you can exclude green if you can't find it or you can also use medley of peppercorns from your local supermarket)
Salt

Preparation for simplicity
1. Beat the egg, egg yolk
2. Mix in cheeses, peppers, and salt
3. Boil water with salt in it
4. Warm up a bowl by putting it in the oven (use thermometer and check if 80-100F range)

*Note before cooking: Make sure when you mix the pasta the egg does not curdle or be too liquidy. Temperature control is key.

Cooking*
1. Throw in noodles to cook for 10-15 minutes
2. In a pan heat up a little oil and cook bacon until crispy
3. Chop bacon into bits
4. Remove noodles and add to bacon fat/oil and toss around quickly.
5. Remove bowl from oven and throw in bacon and noodles
6. Slowly drip the egg mixture while stirring quickly until noodles are evenly coated.

Well, I guess I am almost at the end of my Italian cooking journey for spring break. I only have one last thing to make ... lasagna.

No comments:

Post a Comment