Saturday, February 6, 2010

Japanese Chicken Curry

Ah... what an uneventful weekend filled with fun studying. My water resource engineering midterm is on Monday, and I have no clue what is going on in the class aside from knowing that there are different types of flows and water can jump and how to read a Moody chart, which does not tell me how my mood is.

Anyways, for lunch I decided to make a giant batch of chicken curry to supply me for my lunches next week.

The curry I made today was quite an experiment that turned out quite well. I heard all sorts of rumors such as adding coco powder, heavy cream, and garam masala can enhance my Japanese curry's flavoring. As a result, I decided to test if those rumors are true.

Japanese Chicken Curry



Ingredients of oddness
4 Chicken thighs and drumsticks (best if already deboned)
4 Carrots
2 Potatoes (Medium sized Yukon potatoes)
1 Brown onion
3.5 oz (100g) Package of curry roux (I prefer super hot)
2 cups Chicken stock (a little more for reserve)
2 Tbs Tomato paste
2 Tbs Heavy cream
2 Tbs Garam masala (see Indian basics section)
1 Tbs Cayenne pepper (adjustable to tolerance)
1 Tsp Coco powder (wtf??? yea...)
1 Tsp Honey
1 Tsp Soy sauce

Prep work of samurai chopping
1. Chop onions into 1 sq in sizes
2. Slice carrots to desired thickness (baby carrots work if you don't want to cut anythign)
3. Peel and chop potatoes into desired cube sizes ( I make them 1 cubic in big)

Cooking
1. Add chicken skin size down in a pot until browned
2. Add in onions and cook until translucent
3. Add carrots, potatoes, and chicken stock
4. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are almost done
5. Add roux, tomato paste, heavy cream, garam masala, cayenne pepper, coco powder, honey, and soy sauce
6. Mix all the ingredients well and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Reduce until sauce-like viscosity. If it is too thick, add more chicken stock.
8. Serve with rice or noodles.

Hmm... The result of this experiment made the curry richer probably because of the cream and gave a better aroma than just adding water to the roux type curry.

Well... back to studying ... 300 more pages to read yay! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment