Thursday, January 28, 2010

Indian Basic Ingredients

Garam Masala

This is a must have in making Indian food. During my research about Indian food, I have often encountered this ingredient.

Here is my variation of it:

Ingredients

3g Cardamon powder
3g Corriander powder
3g Cumin powder
3g Cloves
3g Cinnamon
1 tsp Black pepper

Note: I did the spices by weight because volume is so hard to determine the proportions. Invest in a scale!

Instructions of awesomeness

1. In a skillet dry roast the mix on medium low heat
2. Turn off heat when you smell an aroma of goodness

Note: There should never be any smoke coming out and be careful about heat control. Burning this will cause it to taste really bitter >< .

Ginger-Garlic Paste

Another ingredient that I found useful is garlic-ginger paste. According to my friends, it can cure any sickness because of the natural properties of ginger and garlic. Reminds me of when my mother makes this Chinese soup when I get sick that has a ton of ginger and garlic.

Ingredients
Equal weight of garlic and ginger
Salt
Water

Easy instructables

1. Chop the ginger into small pieces
2. Add ginger and garlic into a blender
3. Add some salt and enough water to get the blender going
4. Blend into a paste

Alternative method
1. Use a mortar and pestle to mash it up

No comments:

Post a Comment