Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pineapple Curry

Congratulations to UCLA's ASCE for winning 2nd place for both the concrete canoe and overall conference in Las Vegas. As promised, I will post a photo of the concrete canoe. Yes, it is made out of concrete, and it floats.

After eating from various buffets in Las Vegas and tons of meat, I have decided to try to go vegetarian for a whole week. This is going to be quite a tough feat because I am a carnivore. I love meat, and I just don't know how I am going to give it up. I guess the vegetarian experience will expose me to various vegetables that I have never used or have not even heard about.

The first dish I made is a simple pineapple curry sauce to be served with long grain rice.

Pineapple Curry



Ingredients
1 can Coconut milk
1/2 ripe Pineapple
1 tbs Ginger
1/2 Brown onion
1/2 Lime
2 cloves Garlic
2 Red chili peppers
2 Star anise
1 tbs Corriander
1 tbs Cinnamon
1 tbs Curry powder
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Cloves
Salt and pepper
Mint leaves for garnish


(setting up ingredients)

Prep of green (more like yellow)
Create Paste
1. Chop onion, garlic, and chili pepper
2. Add to food processor or blender
3. Add turmeric, curry powder, cinnamon, corriander, cloves, and star anise
4. Blend into a paste. (if you are using a blender add in a little coconut milk)
5. Cube pineapple

Cooking
1. Heat up about 1 tbs of butter into a pan
2. Add in the paste until you smell fragrance
3. Add in the pineapple and coconut milk and simmer for 10 minutes
4. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve with rice.
6. Garnish with mint leaves and fried shallots.

Well, the first vegetarian dish wasn't too bad ^_^. Onto the next one ...

No comments:

Post a Comment