Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Kale Toast

Vegetarian Day 2...
To my dear readers,

I have been surviving the vegetarian challenge ... so far. As daunting as it sounds, I actually feel great! I have never used to many vegetables in my dishes before, and this gives me a chance to expand my culinary knowledge. My friends are pretty surprised that I have decided to go vegetarian for a week, and some of them also have decided to try the challenge.

Today, I was browsing the net and saw an idea for toast with spinach and tomatoes. I have decided to improvise and use kale, tomatoes, corn, white beans and add a dash of balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Kale Toast



Ingredients
5 stalks Kale
3 unpeeled Garlic cloves
2 slices Multigrain bread
1 Roma tomato
1/2 cup Sweet corn
1/2 cup White kidney beans
1/4 cup Vegetable stock
Salt and pepper
Balsamic vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil

Preparation work
1. Slice off crust of bread and cut into four sections
2. Place bread in the toaster for 3 minutes or until crispy
3. Cut tomatoes and remove seeds
4. Dice tomatoes
5. Wash and cut kale leaves into small pieces (about 2 cm squares or smaller)

Cooking
1. Heat up oil in a pan and toss garlic into the pan on medium-high heat.
2. Brown or partially blacken the garlic skins (about 3 minutes)
3. Remove from heat and peel garlic and smash garlic into paste
4. Wash pan, dry and add olive oil
5. Toss in kale, corn, tomatoes, and beans
6. Saute for 1-2 minutes and add in vegetable stock and cover for 2 minutes or until vegetables are cooked
7. Place vegetables on the toast
8. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Man! This is one of my new favorite vegetarian dishes. It is very simple and yet so delicious.

1 comment:

  1. i thought the tomatoes were salmon! when you're not fasting meat you should try that next time〜

    and you might want to get a macro lens:)

    ReplyDelete