Monday, May 10, 2010

Sweet and Sour Tofu

It's another one of those Mondays. I'm still a bit tired from pulling up all nighters on the weekend, so I decided to miss one of my classes to nap and study for my thermodynamics midterm that's tomorrow. In addition, I decided to keep dinner quick and simple.

I picked up tofu at Trader Joes because I feel that I haven't really worked with tofu before. The hard part was to decide what to do with it, then woosh, out of nowhere, some reckless individual bumped past me almost spilling his McDonalds chicken nuggets and sweet and sour sauce all over me. An idea occurred to me... Bake it with sweet and sour sauce!

Sweet and Sour Tofu


Ingredients (Tofu)
7 oz Firm tofu

Prepwork (2 minutes)
1. Cut the tofu into any way or shape you want. I decide to cut mine into bread-like slices and triangle because triangles are cool.
2. Preheat oven for 350F
3. Line Parchment paper on the tray
4. Arrange the tofu evenly spaced out

Cooking the tofu
1. Bake the tofu for 15 minutes on each side (Total time: 30 minutes)

Ingredients for the sauce
3 tbs Sugar
2 tbs Rice vinegar
2 tbs Ketchup
1 1/2 tbs Water
1 tbs Soy Sauce
1/4 small Yellow onion

Prep
1. Mix all the ingredients together except for the onion
2. Finely dice the onion

Cooking
1. Heat a little oil in a sauce pan
2. Add onions and cook until translucent
3. Add liquid mix to the pan on low heat
4. Stir and heat until everything is well mix and sauce-like. (1 minute)

Take the tofu out of the oven and eat with rice. The sauce can be drizzled over the tofu or used as a dipping sauce. If you want, you can also marinate the tofu in the sauce for a day and then bake it.

No comments:

Post a Comment