Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Good Ole Fashion Congee

If you feeling sick, down, or tired, some good ole congee shall make things feel better. When I was a kid, I would hate eating this when I was sick because it would give me some pretty bad stomachaches. Now, as a busy engineering student, I appreciate the texture and taste. I would call this somewhat, Chinese comfort food because it makes me feel like I'm at home again. In addition, this dish really makes people recover from colds.

Well, if your not sick, down, tired, this makes a quick and easy meal for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The only thing you need are the side dishes that go with congee, such as Chinese pickles, wheat gluten, shredded pork, hot sauce, etc...

Note: this is not the delicious congee with 1000 year old duck eggs. I will make this when I find a ride to 99 ranch or ranch 99. How would you call it ... there's this discrepancy between FOBs and ABCs about how to say it in English, but that is another story....

Good Ole Fashion Congee

Note: I had shredded pork and wheat gluten with peanuts
Also ... I let the congee sit for awhile, so the cognee above is a bit drier than most congees

Ingredients
3/4 cup glutenous rice
5 cups water
1 tbs Sesame oil

Prep directions
1. Wash the rice until the water is almost clear
2. In the same rice container, add the sesame oil
3. Mix well and allow the rice grains to soak the oil for 30 minutes
4. Add 2 cups of water into the container and transfer the rice and water to a blender
5. Use the remaining water to rinse any remaining rice grains of the container into the blender
6. Now, you should have a total of 4 cups of water and the rice in the blender.
7. Pulse the blender for 3o seconds, until the rice grains are in smaller pieces. You can use a food processor for better control. You do not want all the rice to disintegrate into the water.
8. Transfer rice to rice cooker or steamer. I use something like this
9. Follow the instructions to how you normally cook rice.
10. For the stove top cooks .... cook the rice on the stove on medium low heat until the rice resembles congee ...
11. Serve with your favorite stuff xD

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jon! Isn't it more simple to just cook the rice in a pot. What's with the blender? All that really matters is the heat at which you cook it at. If you're making congee over med high, too much stirring causes the grains to lose their absorbed water. And your grains won't get as plump in general, but you get your rice soup fast. The best kind of congee is made overnight on low heat or with a slow cooker. Nice fatty grains :) Just something my dad always told me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ilovesunnydelite
    It's more simpler to cook it in a rice cooker because all you have to do if push the button down and you can go do other stuff without worrying about how long you have to cook it for.

    The blender releases some starchiness in the water

    ReplyDelete