Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Steak... sort of

So... Today I came back from my meeting and super long day on campus, 8am to 7 pm (I guess this is what the real world feels like). To treat myself, I decided to defrost and cook steak that has been "properly" stored in the freezer for the past 3 months. After cooking it and trying to multitask, I left the steak in the oven for too long ... so thus it overcooked : ( bleh ...

Straight up streak... (sorry there's no picture, but it will come later when I make it better)

Ingredients

1 lb sirloin steak
1/4 stick of butter (2 tablspoons, 1/8 cup, 1 oz for the picky people who don't do conversions)
1/2 white onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of rice wine
salt and pepper (enough so you don't make your mouth like a salt mine)

Prep

1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. Dice the onions and garlic
3. Salt and pepper the steak
4. Pound steak if needed to tenderize
5. Split butter into two equal parts

Cooking

1. Put one piece of the butter in an oven-safe skillet
2. Sear the steak about 30-45 seconds on each side on medium-high heat
3. Remove steak add in onions and garlic for about 20 seconds
4. Place steak back on the skillet and put the other piece of butter on top of the steak
5. Add rice wine
6. Place skillet in the oven for 10-15 minutes for medium-rare to medium.

Usually when I make this steak it would turn out just right and taste great... but...
Because I was doing homework and cooking at the same time.... I left the steak in the oven for 20 minutes, which caused the steak to turn into a well done disgusting dry piece of shit.

Experimental Content !
So.. to revive the taste and not make my mouth so dry...

I removed the steak and kept it in the warm oven on a plate.
With the skillet, I decided to experiment with a sauce.
Here's what I used

3 tablespoons of ketchup
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of worcheshire suace
A dash of Dejon mustard
Paprika
enough rice wine to deglaze the pan
salt and pepper to adjust

1. Basically deglaze the pan with the wine
2. Dump all that in with the onion and garlic mix
3. Reduce until thickened
4. Strain the sauce
5. Serve with thinly sliced pieces of the steak

I guess the sauce experiment turned out so-so without doing any prior research, I sort of made a bbq sauce to go with the steak slices.

Well hopefully someone can improvise more on this and tell me what they think.
Some advice would be nice too : ).

Eat with broccoli and rice or bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment