Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Random Eggplant (Chinese style???) with bean sauce

So for those who are wondering what was that mushy mess next to the tomato and eggs in the previous post. That... my friends is eggplant with bean sauce with experimental sauce. I guess the other day, I was at Trader Joes and was wondering what I should cook. I closed my eyes and randomly choose an eggplant. I guess I would have to learn how to make good eggplant dishes sooner or later. There's no pictures with this because I have the picture in the previous post.

Random Eggplant Mystery with Bean Sauce

Ingredients
1 Eggplant (can be anything, I used a regular fat supermarket eggplant so its not the Chinese ones)
5 Cloves garlic
1/2 cup Chicken stock
2 tbs Broad bean sauce
2 tsp Sugar
2 tsp Soy sauce
4 Chinese chili peppers
1/2 cup Thai basil (loosely packed)

Preparation to enter a world of mysterious tastes
1. Cube the eggplant
2. Rinse the basil
3. Peel garlic by smashing with edge of the knife

Cooking
1. Heat canola oil in a pan
2. Add the eggplant, red chilies, and garlic and cook for about 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally
3. Add chicken stock, bring to simmer and cover for 4-5 minutes until eggplant is about cooked.
4. Add bean paste, soy sauce, and sugar cook for about 1 minute stirring occasionally
5. Turn off heat and add Thai basil and cover.

Somehow this turned out quite alright for a mystery dish. I guess it can have some further improvements though.

No comments:

Post a Comment