Just as I thought this quarter at UCLA was going to be easy ... BAM I'm piled with homework and projects again. Man the quarter system came at me really fast ><. Anyways, despite how much work I have, I still have my food club in my tiny apartment. This week, my club ordered a Community Supported Agriculture box from South Central Farms. I will show you one of the dishes I came up with. I got my inspiration from potato cakes and used a little bit of my creativity to make the flavors work xD. Turnip Cake with Ginger Sour Cream
Ingredients for Turnip Cakes
1/4 cup Flour
1/2 cup Bread crumbs
1 tsp Five Spice Powder
1 tsp Sesame oil
2 tsp Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Green onion
Prep work and cooking
1. Dice turnips into tiny pieces.
2. Place turnips in a steamer to steam until soft (10-15 minutes)
3. Meanwhile, slice green onions and measure out ingredients.
4. Remove turnips from the steam and place on a very fine sieve to sqeeze out any water and form a paste-like puree.
5. Place turnip in a bowl and add remaining ingredients.
6. Mix well.
7. Form the the mixture into a cake (like crab-cakes)
8. Fry the turnip cakes (2-3 minutes on each side) to get a nice golden crisp on each side.
Ingredients for Ginger Sour Cream
1/4 cup Sour cream
1/2 inch peeled Ginger
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cardamon
1. Finely dice the ginger
2. Mix everything together
Enjoy this vegetarian friendly dish. It tastes crispy on the outside and very soft on the inside. You can serve it with sriracha.
Here's another lovely picture of the finished product!